Thursday, December 15, 2011

Christmas Capital of France

Strasbourg! Yesterday, Wednesday, I got up at 4am and headed to the train station to head to Strasbourg. It is in the Alsace region of France and is right on the border of Germany. I took the TGV, which is the high speed train, and got there in about 2 hours and 20 minutes. No one really wanted to go or was giving me a straight answer, so I said hell with it and went alone. I really wanted to go, so I did!

I went mainly for the Christmas markets, but they didn’t open til 10am and I arrived around 9. I decided to walk around and check out some of the town before heading to the markets. The main town was surrounded by a river which made for a picturesque city.  Rainy of course, but it was beautiful just the same.



After a little while of adventuring, I went to the first market. There are tons of them set up throughout the city and it’s like a scavenger hunt trying to find them. I took a picture of the large map they had displayed in town and used that as my map.  The first market was a German market. Because Strasbourg is so close to Germany, a lot of Germans come here and most of the markets were in French and in German. It was really cool because I could understand some of the things in German!  After that I moved on to the next one and continued on until I hit them all. I am pretty sure I walked every street of Strasbourg. I bought a few little Christmasy things along the way too.


Around 3, I was about done and ready to go home, but my train was not until 5:45, so I went to a local restaurant and ordered an Alsacian beer and a tradition dish. I had smoked pork, potatoes with bacon and onions, and a salad. Altogether the meal was delicious. A little lonely, but these two old ladies talked to me for a bit. It was so sweet.


Once I finished dinner, I walked around one of the markets again and then headed to the train station. The town was all lit up and it made me so happy. I am really glad I went. It was a very long day, but I am definitely glad that I went!

No comments:

Post a Comment