Thursday, September 29, 2011

Did you say America?

Oui, c'est vrai!

Last Thursday I left Compiègne at 830 in the morning to take a a bus to take a train to take the metro to take a plane to take another plane to get in a car to finally make it to Amelia Island, FL for my cousin Caroline's wedding. By far, one of the longest days of my life. And then, after travelling for 16+ hours, are my parents there to pick me up from the airport? No! I was expecting this huge welcome home committee and what did I get, nothing. Oh well, I got to spend a little more time in Jacksonville airport than I planned on. 

Part I
Let's start with the people I met on my travels.

Michelle: I first met her trying to get out of the metro terminal and into the airport. Apparently I had the wrong metro ticket (as did she) although this nice couple let us sneak in with them! I formally met her while we were waiting in line for our tickets at the United Airlines counter. I was very exciting to finally be talking to an American and where we could be loud and excited about everything. The French are not much for showing emotion. So we were telling each other our life stories of course and turns out she lived in China for a number of years because her dad was an ambassador there. Now, she lives in Salt Lake City, UT. Boring according to her. Last year she spent the semester in Paris studying. What exactly, I don't remember, but she came back to visit her friend for two weeks. Anyways the ticket guy thought we were together because we were talking like longtime friends. We discussed everything from the differences in France and the US to how I have friends studying in China right now to how somehow our lives connected. We were on the same flight to Dulles and she sat in the row behind me.

This brings me to the next person I met:
Hubert: He was sitting in the seat behind me and I overheard him talking about how he had studied civil engineering. I immediately was interested and decided to turn around and through the seat ask where he studied. An hour or so later (the flight was 8 hours so I had time), I found out that he was born in France and studied at the oldest engineering school in Paris, and then he went to Stanford and studied there. After that he did work in both countries and was also a professor. He is now retired and lives in California, but he still does some research at a local university. Every year he goes over to France to visit a former student of his and they collaborate on their research. It was so cool to hear all the stuff that this guy has done. He has also traveled everywhere. Like everywhere. His favorite place was the Canary Islands. Mom, he reminded me of Ed that we met on the cruise. As we were talking apparently everyone was listening to our conversation, but I didn't notice nor did I really care. I only know this because the next person I encountered was on the flight to Dulles with me.

Some lady from Jacksonville: As I was going through customs, a lady was saying how her flight was at 4:50 and she was hoping to make it. I thought to myself, hmm, my flight is at that time too. Let me ask her if she is going to Jacksonville. She was. After going through customs, I kind of lost her, but saw starbucks and immediately went to get a chai (it was delicious) and then get my dishy gossip fix from People magazine! When I made it to my terminal, she wasn't there, but I wasn't overly concerned. I was enjoying chai and gossip! Next thing I know I hear someone calling Nicole and I look over and its the lady. I looked a little confused because I had never told her my name and she must have sensed that because she then goes, well I know that's your name because I heard you on the plane haha. Anyways, she asked me to watch her bags while she ran to the bathroom and to starbucks. She was even going to get me something, but I already had one. She was really nice and we talked for a bit before we boarded the plane. She was in Paris for a few days and was antique shop hopping. I am not entirely sure what she was looking for, but she didn't find it. Once we boarded the plane, she wasn't sitting near me so I of course met someone new.

Nancy Lemoux (no idea how to spell it): For all of you out there who know Nancy Lemoux, a lifelong friend of my grandparents from NH (Oh yeah, now I know who she is talking about), this woman looked just like her. I even did a double take. Turns out she was visiting her daughter who was going over to Sweden to do cancer research. She was on her way back to St. Augustine. He other daughter just moved to Tampa and she just got back from visiting her before she went to DC. 

Crazy all the people you can meet in a matter of 16 hours. All you have to do is smile and then just start talking. For some this may surprise you, well for my mom it did, but I am not as sheltered as you all think I am. I can talk to total strangers! Angela - step one in going to Pawtucket without being scared - check

Part II
Sorry this one is so long. I just have so much to share.

The wedding was absolutely beautiful. My cousin Caroline looked gorgeous and he dress looked stunning on her. Her now husband, Gregg, is a super nice guy and a great addition to the Bonvouloir family. Caroline had asked me to do a reading at the wedding, and I am not going to brag or anything, but I nailed it! It was so nice that she included me in the wedding. I felt so honored. PS - I am the favorite cousin! Sorry to all you guys, you are tied for second.

We were brought to the reception on a trolley. It was pretty fantastic. My dad and I waved and said hi to everyone we passed. We were just having a good time. The reception was held at a place on the marsh. It was beautiful. It had a huge porch that overlooked the marsh and the sunset was amazing. I am pretty sure one of the most vibrant sunsets I have ever seen. Caroline did all the decorations herself and lets just say she should go into wedding planning. Alan too! You guys did a fantastic job getting everything ready. It was by far the smoothest wedding ever. 

So many fun memories from the wedding, I can't begin to share them all. It was a lovely wedding, with the best people, and the dancing and drinking were only pluses. Not to mention, I got to dance with my Pepere. Let's just say, I think I need some more ballroom dancing practice.

After four days of pure enjoyment, I had to say good bye to "home" and head back to France. It was only a car, plane, another plane, metro, train, and bus ride away until I was back in Compiègne.

Congratulations to Gregg and Caroline Willett!! Thanks for having such a great wedding for all of us to share with you. Love you guys (:



2 comments:

  1. Must have been a lot of fun to come home and see the family. Makes all that traveling worth while especially since you met all those fun people along the way. It sounds like you are having such a great time..Good for you!! I really enjoy your blog..Love and miss you...Anne

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am glad you enjoy reading my blog. It was great to go home for a bit!!

    ReplyDelete