Sunday, June 3, 2012

Foster-Glocester, France

On Monday May 21st my alarm went off at 4:52am. I had to get up to head to a meeting. This particular meeting was to take place at a plant in Gamaches which is in the Normandy region. I had to take a train from Compiègne to Amiens then another train to Abancourt where I then got on a bus and finally made it t was to Gamaches. A co-worker picked me up there. Whilst on my journey I definitely found the Foster-Glocester (no school) of France. I got off the train in Abancourt to find a shack of a train station, cows and tractors. Oh, don't forget the one cafe/hotel in all of the town.

The bus ride to Gamaches was not any more exciting than Abancourt. We passed field are field of cows, a few horses and an occasional house. After about a half hour we pull into the Longroy-Gamaches "train station." Three other people got off the bus with me to find the train station all boarded up and absolutely no sign of life around. It was legit the middle of nowhere. It didn't help that it was a cloudy day, on the verge of rain that made the whole situation worse. I felt like I was in a movie and this was the part where the main character gets taken out by a zombie or something unnatural.

So after travelling four hours, I finally made it to the plant for the meeting that lasted a total of an hour and a half. An hour and a half!!!! Ridiculous. We did go out for a nice lunch in the next town over. Only a 10km drive away. You could have driven halfway across RI! Lunch was delicious and when we returned to the plant, they gave us a tour. This plant produced precision-molding seals. It was huge and produced 100s of different pieces, some of them for Bosch, BMW, Renault and many more companies. Most of the factory workers were women which I found very odd. I was expecting to see more men, but it was definitely a 5-1 girl to guy ratio. Everyone was super nice and greeted us when we went to their station, but man what a boring job they have. I definitely know I don't want to be doing their job!

Once we toured the whole plant, it was about 4pm. Unfortunately my train wasn't until 5:42pm so one of the guys in the meeting stayed with me and then dropped me off at the train station. I was expecting a bus to come again when a one car train pulled up. I was a little hesitant to get on, not knowing where it would take me, but I asked the conductor if it was going to Abancourt and it was. After a very interesting day, I finally made it back to civilization!
 

No comments:

Post a Comment