Tuesday, August 30, 2011

Revelations

Walking around Compiègne this morning, I realized just how beautiful the town actually is. I mean I live on the ugliest street in all of Compiègne, but walking into the center of town is truly breathtaking. Next time I venture out, I will bring my camera with me to snap some photos for you all. I found a new boulangerie and decided to go in for a baguette and I am pretty sure I will be revisiting. The baguette was the best I have had since I have been here. I didn't really think too much of bread before, but now I find myself thinking hmm, this one has too much this or is too doughy or is just boring. Who would have thought there is so much to bread? On my walk this morning, I also stopped at a farmer's market and bought some new raspberry, strawberry, and some other berry jam to accompany my baguette of course.


Recently, I was also introduced to mate, an Argentinian tea, by my friends from, well, Argentina. You add the herbs into a a special cup like the one here and drink out of a specific metal straw. At the end of the straw there is a sifter so that you don't suck up all the herbs. You then add hot water and sip through the metal straw. Let's just say I burned my tongue, throat, and pretty much my whole mouth the first few times, but after awhile you get the hang of it. Either that or your mouth becomes accustomed to the steaming hot tea. 



To drink the mate, you are passed the cup and you have to finish all of the water in the cup when it is your turn. The straw makes a noise when you are done so that you know. You then add more hot water and pass it on to the next person. When you are completely done and do not want anymore for the day, you say no thank you. I was warned the first time to not say no thank you when I wanted to pass. The herbs are added once in the beginning and last a bunch of passes until they become "washed" and then you clean it out and start again.


In Argentina, drinking mate is a social activity that everyone does all day, everyday. When we get together, there is always mate now! It tastes delicious too. So refreshing. And I was reassured that the herbs were completely natural - basically, that they were not drugging me!

Coming to another country, you think you are only going to learn about their own culture, when in fact, it is so much more than that. I have already been introduced to so many different cultures. I love learning the ways of all my friends and what customs they have. Words cannot describe the experience; you just have to be immersed in it yourself. I am so glad I had this opportunity to study abroad. It's only been a month and I have experienced so much, imagine what a year is going to do!

No comments:

Post a Comment